Throughout the history of AdWords, there a have only been three main ways that Google Determines Ad Rank.
- 2002: AdWords Launches for everyone: Ad Rank = Max CPC x CTR
- 2006: Quality Score introduced: Ad Rank = Max CPC x Quality Score
- 2013: Ad Rank updated to include: Max CPC, Quality Score, and Ad Extension data. No simple formula demonstrates this change
In the fast changing world of AdWords, this simple formula, a very important one that determines where your ad will show on a search page, has undergone very little evolution over the past decade. However, a few months ago, Google made the first major change to Ad Rank since 2006 with the introduction of a third criteria: Ad Extension Data.
Quality Score in itself can be a highly confusing number to work with, and with the addition of ad extension to the ad rank formula, it’s easy for a PPC marketer to get confused over how to increase ad rank and quality scores.
To help sort out this confusion, the latest Marketing Nirvana show invited Fred Vallaeys to help clarify the changes and give some solid advice on working with quality score.
If you are unfamiliar with Fred, he was an early employee at Google where he spent 10 years building AdWords and teaching advertisers how to get the most out of it as Google’s only AdWords Evangelist. As a technologist at heart, he’s always on the lookout for ways that technology can simplify the lives of marketers. He recently founded Optmyzr with other Google and Microsoft alumni. Optmyzr’s goal is to give advertisers unique insights from their data and make optimizing AdWords really fast through One-Click Optimizations™. Fred is one
Through all his work, Fred has a deep insight into how Google thinks and the AdWords system, so he’ll help guide you through all of the changes taking place:
In this episode we walk through:
- Ad Rank changes
- Why the changes were made
- The CTR effect of ad extensions
- Where Google holds quality score
- The different types of quality score
- Quality score diagnosis by device types
- How bids can affect quality score
- Quality score updates
- Quality score tracking
- And much, much more.
The show will air on January 6th at Noon EST / 9am PST.
While you’re waiting for the show to air, here are some of our past episodes:
- Mobile advertising best practices with Lisa Raehsler
- Google AdWords Flexible Bid Strategies with John Lee
- Adapting to the Overhaul of Google Adwords Enhanced Campaigns with Melissa Mackey
- Starting & Growing your PPC Agency with David Szetela
- Everything You Need to Know About Bing Ads With John Gagnon
- Off Page SEO Factors with Todd Mailcoat
- On page SEO Factors with Todd Mailcoat
- And many more..
I hope you enjoy the show.