For the past several years, the next year was predicted as the ‘year of mobile’; yet, year after year it never arrived – until last year.
Last year (2012) saw smartphone usage double in the US (and many other countries), search queries increase dramatically, and mobile finally arrive. 2013 is almost over, and even though mobile is arrived, many businesses are still not doing mobile well or not doing mobile at all.
Mobile is a channel you need to explore to see how it will do for you, especially, with the change in user behavior where you commonly see a user start a search on mobile, then switch to a desktop, and then sometimes even walk into a store. There are many search usage patterns that include some mobile component that at a minimum, you need to start thinking about a mobile strategy. Of course, some companies are doing mobile exceptionally well.
If you’re not sure what to do with mobile or mobile PPC, we just did a Marketing Nirvana radio show on this very topic that will help you start thinking about your strategy and how to execute it in paid search. Lisa Raehsler was my guest for the show.
Lisa is the founder of Big Click Co, a PPC management company. She’s also a frequent conference speaker, a regular twitterer, and blogger. I’ve known Lisa for a number of years, and she’s always willing to try something new for her clients – which is nice – she doesn’t get stuck in doing the same processes over and over without a way to bring something new to her clients.
In this episode, we’ll cover:
- Thinking about mobile strategies by industry
- How to know if you’re ready for mobile
- What type of site to use
- Google & Bing information
- mobile preferred ads
- ad extensions
- mobile PLAs
- Additional tips & thoughts
In the show, we reference some external resources, here’s a list of the mentioned items:
- Bing Study: The Importance Of PPC In An Omni-Channel World
- Search Engine Watch Study: 97% of Top U.S. Retailers Not Following Mobile Redirect Guidelines
- Lisa’s LinkedIN Article: PPC Ideas Exchange: 5 Mobile PPC Best Practices and Discussion
We’ve done a lot of great shows this year, here’s some of the more recent past episodes:
- Flexible Bid Strategies with John Lee
- Revisiting Enhanced Campaigns with Melissa Mackey
- All About AdWords Quality Score with Fred Vallaeys
- Building a New Marketing Agency: From Pricing to Pitfalls with David Szetela
- Everything You Need to Know About Bing Ads With John Gagnon
- Off Page SEO Factors with Todd Mailcoat
- Onpage SEO Factors with Todd Mailcoat
I hope you enjoy the show.