We recently moved the blog from bgTheory to Certified Knowledge and three really bad things happened:
- Our FeedBurner account went crazy tweeting one of our blog posts (not even the latest one) every few hours
- Our Feed wasn’t being read correctly by any program that relied on Google’s Feed Fetcher or feedproxy.google.com
- Any system that relied on Google products to work (feedburner, email subscription, etc) was not being notified of new blog posts
Whenever I tried to view the feed, I had more than 30 AdSense ads at the bottom of each post in the feed (it’s configured for one).
Whenever I clicked on anything that involved feedproxy.google.com (Google’s redirector for AdSense and some feed programs) I encountered an infinite redirect look.
All of our 301 were perfect (redirects from one site to another one). Our FeedBurner account was configured correctly.
When using liveheaders, I would see feedproxy.google.com continue to redirect to itself until the browser gave up and gave me a redirect error.
When I looked inside my AdSense account, all the feeds and ads were configured correctly.
However, It turns out the culprit was AdSense for Feeds. It appears as if Google was:
- Passing the feed from Feedburner to AdSense to add the ads to the feed
- Then trying to pass the feed back to the old Google feed URL which was being redirected to a new URL
- Then Google was seeing the feed being moved so it grabbed the feed again to send back to AdSense to add another ad
- Repeat 30 times, and you get a broken feed with 30 ads at the bottom
I tried to determine what the AdSense issue was; but not being able to see what Google was trying to do with the configuration on their side – there was no way to fix the code. As a consumer you can only fix the code you have access to.
It turns out there was a really simple fix.
I deleted the channels in AdSense and waited for Google to cycle through their feed fetching and refresh process.
I can now add new channels back into AdSense and the ads appear correctly.
It seems that FeedBurner and AdSense have a very light integration, and Feedburner does not update AdSense’s information.
So, if you are using AdSense for feeds and move your feed URL, you will want to delete (or make inactive) the old AdSense for Feed channels, let Google’s system flush out the old data, and then add your details back to AdSense.
If you haven’t seen our feeds in a few weeks, this is why. The most important items you might have missed are: